Northern Ireland`s LAC collected waste to landfill rate again below 50 percent

1470
Müllfahrzeug (Foto: ©Gabi Schoenemann / http://www.pixelio.de)

Belfast, Northern Ireland — The latest provisional statistics reveal that less than half, 47.9 percent, of Northern Ireland local authority collected waste was sent to landfill during the first three months of 2015. This was similar to the 47.7 percent sent to landfill during the same months of 2014 but differed from the trend over previous years which saw the landfill rate consistently fall. It was the second consecutive year that the landfill rate has been below 50 percent for the January to March quarter, according to data from te Provisional statistics.

The quantity of LAC municipal waste sent to landfill rose slightly to 103,798 tonnes compared to 102,976 tonnes for the same three months in 2014. Total LAC municipal waste arisings remained steady with 216,886 tonnes collected January to March 2015 compared to 215,994 for the same months in 2014. There were almost 80,000 tonnes of local authority collected municipal waste sent for recycling and composting. This resulted in a dry recycling and composting rate of 36.8 percent compared to 36.5 percent for the same three months of 2014.

Key points for January to March 2015:

  • District councils collected 216,886 tonnes of local authority collected (LAC) municipal waste between January and March 2015 which was similar to the 215,994 tonnes collected during the same three months of 2014. Household waste accounted for 88 percent of total arisings. The remaining 12 percent was non household waste.
  • There were 79,890 tonnes of LAC municipal waste sent for recycling including composting between January and March 2015. This gave an LAC municipal dry recycling and composting rate of 36.8 percent compared with 36.5 percent between January and March 2014.
  • The tonnage of LAC municipal waste going to landfill rose slightly to 103,798 tonnes between January and March 2015. The landfill rate was 47.9 percent which was similar to the 47.7 percent during the same months of 2014.
  • There were 62,732 tonnes of biodegradable LAC municipal waste sent to landfill between January and March 2015, which was similar to the 62,497 tonnes in the same quarter last year. This was 21.5 percent of the 2014/15 Northern Ireland Landfill Allowance Scheme (NILAS) allocation and was higher than the 20.4 percent of the total 2013/14 allocation used during January to March 2014.

Source: Northern Ireland Executive